WANT TO LEARN MORE? GOOGLE IT. :)

Saturday, October 6, 2012

For YOUth: How it feels to be an unemployed graduate

The status of youth unemployment here in the Philippines has been revealed by an alarming report in Interaksyon, the official news portal of TV5 (Kapatid). The report cites that youth unemployment is at an "alarming rate" of 17 percent, which is twice the national average.

I cannot help but agree with what the report contained. It's true. There is a widespread job mismatch and skills shortage, although companies have a lot of unfilled jobs.

Idealist students don't get to grab the job they aspire to. You are called an idealist when you know that you have made great plans for yourself whether or not you included in your goals helping to shape the country's future. 

You yearn to reach six-digit figures at the age of 30 or earlier. You wish to become the manager or a junior executive before you reach 31. You plan on taking your family abroad when you're 32.  You decide to get married if and when you get promoted. You focus yourself on your ideals.

I am one of those unemployed youth being discussed; I, too, am idealist. I studied hard during my last years in college, after I juggled different responsibilities placing academics at a lower priority in my first academic years. Despite being able to graduate, with two flunks, and earning a very satisfactory academic performance, I was one of those graduates who, after being interviewed, were never really called back for a job offer.

I presume idealist graduates have fallen prey to such companies. Worse, you become depressed after not getting any job offer at all.

So, aside from depression, how does it really feel to become unemployed?

I feel troubled, worrying that the idealism which is still in me might leave soon due to the gloomy employment condition that the country is facing. Every time I let time pass me by, I realize I'm closing the gap between reality and idealism - that I might not achieve my dreams.

I feel bum and bored, every time I realize I've got nothing to do other than surfing the internet and looking for job offers all day long.

I feel broke and desolate, knowing that some (not all) of my peers have joined the employed race, started earning for themselves and their families, and meeting new friends to share memories with.

I feel no change at all, seeing that everything that's happening to me from waking up to setting myself to sleep happen by routine since no one's around to talk to and engage in challenging activities.

Despite all these, I try to make it up to a point that I could use up at least a fraction of my time to writing stuff online and sharing my perspectives with you.

I feel that although the lighted urn of idealism has seen its flame slowly die down, there is still hope. I feel optimistic that God has plans for me, as long as I keep on pursuing what I want.

I feel that some day I'll be the greatest person I have always wanted to become.

I feel that this dismaying statistics of Philippine employment  can still be improved by the government.

I feel that those who read this post (you) have realized there's so much thrill and challenge to expect after you graduate high school or college. Expect a lot of trials, disappointments and surprises/

I feel that the youth of today will still continue striving and giving their best to compete with themselves (and not with others) so as to improve the persons that they are and to show to their future employers that they've got what it takes to become part of the company.

Before I end this, I would like to tell all the youth to keep aiming high. Someday, you will be the boosters of the rocket of growth of Philippines. We, the group of unemployed graduates, cannot say that the government has failed us, but it is almost like it.