WANT TO LEARN MORE? GOOGLE IT. :)

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

MONEY TALK: 5 steps that may help students (actually anyone) become rich (Part 1)

So, last night I saw this post by a member of investment-related discussion facebook group Investing in the Philippine Stock Market - Tips and Tricks about the 5 S's to a successful, wealthy life. 

There's no guarantee that by following these you'd get rich like Manny Pacquiao (mag-boksing ka na lang hehe) or Mark Zuckerberg (learn to do programming or code!) but being a living proof of someone who's been observing and doing these 5 S's since I was in elementary, I think I can say that these 5 S's MAY help students - struggling financially or simply born with golden spoons - achieve a wealthy life in the future.

I may not entirely agree that doing these 5 's will lead you to success, as success is not wholly about money. Yes, money is important in this world, but it does not equate to success. 

Success, as I quote Jenny Garrison from the movie Fame, is:
There are some things success is not. It's not fame. It's not money or power. Success is waking up in the morning so excited about what you have to do that you literally fly out the door. It's getting to work with people you love. Success is connecting with the world and making people feel. It's finding a way to bind together people who have nothing in common but a dream. It's falling asleep at night knowing you did the best job you could. Success is joy and freedom and friendship. And success is love.
Now, back to the 5 S's of getting rich - err, richer than what you have in the past. :) It's funny because I had done these already when I was young and I am still continuing doing these up to now.

1. SAVE HARD. STUDY HARDER.
It's important that you save. Just think about this. Life is very fragile; you'll never know when something bad will happen to you or to someone close to you. 

Would you want that by the time you get admitted for dengue fever because of too many lamok in school, all your parents' savings have already been used up for hospital bills and medications? Would you want your parents to go approach their relatives and even resort to appealing to Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office or to corrupt government officials, begging for financial support? Would you want to have to let go of someone because you can't afford the meds needed? Diba ayaw mo nun? 

Image Source: Trading Pub
Because seriously shit happens (in some place, at some time, a mother has lost her newborn child to sepsis/malnutrition because she didn't have enough money to bring her to the hospital or she didn't have enough to provide for her needs as a child-bearing woman), and this shit can happen to anyone. Diba ayaw mo ng shit?

Then why not join your parents in saving; or at least, if  they're not into saving, start from yourself? Start saving.

When I was young, a lot of health disasters have happened. My sibling was brought to the hospital for dengue; my papa had heart and respiratory problems. My mom turned out to be hypertensive. My brother had a skin disease.

These events scared the hell out of me; I was scared to lose them. I was scared that I won't see them when I become successful as a person. So, I did start saving - kahit piso-piso lang.

Starting to save is hard, lalo na maraming gadgets at lakwatsa hotspots ang uso ngayon, but mind you, these are just temptations. There will be time for gadgets (mabilis bumagsak presyo ng gadgets hehe) and lakwatsa; it's just there! In fact, it took me 7 years to finally get a  DSLR and pursue photography.

Just think, you are running out of time to save your loved ones from any bad thing that may happen. This is not about embracing the pessimistic  view of everything, but it's about doing your best to prevent what can be prevented and mitigate any untoward damages.

For now, save hard and study harder!

BUT, I'm not saying that you'd have to miss opportunities to bond with your friends. You can! Of course, it's important to socialize and meet new people, and maintain contact with them, 'cause we are social animals; we'll need someone, at some point in our lives. We need friends. So, enjoy hanging out with friends! Splurge into yummy cuisine every once in a while. Don't forget to continue saving. And of course, continue studying.

It's the best thing we can give our parents right now. Graduate, with or without flying colors, while having saved money, just in case of emergency. Siyempre, it's better din if we graduate with flying colors diba?

Teka ang haba na pala, I continued with Part 2 HERE (wala pa) hehe.

P.S. If you're interested in reading more life-based money stories, here are some of them:
Two financial lessons I learned from Mama and Papa when I was a kid
5 Awesome Tips to Help your Parents in your Finances