WANT TO LEARN MORE? GOOGLE IT. :)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Secrets and tips on how to pass the Civil Service Exam in the Philippines

Last year, I took the Civil Service Exam out of boredom. At that time, I probably thought that passing the CSE will allow me entry to the public office one day - not now, but in the future (haha). To be honest, I wasn't quite sure if either public service or private employment was my thing.

So, I decided to apply to take the Civil Service Exam - the PH government's own way of screening its applicants for various job positions. And upon releasing of results, I got a humble 85.__! Passing (cut-off) grade for the Civil Service Exam, I think, was 80.

However, with all the confusion in trying to figure out what path to take after graduation, I ended up studying again instead of joining the workforce. 

To share some parts of my CSE experience, all I can say is that the Civil Service Exam tests your honed skills (analogy and logic, numerical reasoning, clerical), your language proficiency (both in English and Tagalog, correct grammar usage, verbal, paragraph organization, sentence construction, spell check, reading comprehension), and lastly, your knowledge (general info) about the Philippine Constitution (Code of Conduct, Ethical Standards, Roles of High Governing Bodies/Persons). 

I could still remember a few terms in which synonyms were being determined such as TINGE, SAGACIOUS, IMMUTABLE, DEXTERITY, ROBUST, MASASAL (Tagalog), DENOUEMENT, and PORTENT. These were the words the synonyms of which, in the given choices, were really a pain to find out.

Also, I messed up with the Constitution part (haha), but everything ended well I guess. The exam also asked about scenarios in the government, e.g. duties of the VP if in case something bad happens to the President (or maybe I was just day-dreaming hehe). Also, there was a question about the Philippine National Territory.

I just hope they're not recycling the same questions over and over again. :)) Now, back to the CSE - tips and tricks.

There are two categories, Sub-professional and Professional. It's up to you which one you can handle best. Both exams could either be taken through Paper and Pencil Test (PPT) or Computer-assisted Test (CAT) - depending on availability of schedule as announced by the Civil Service Commission (CSC).

Here are eight (yes, 8) tips to help you in your CSE struggles towards getting that eligibility for government entry (civil service).


Tip 1: APPLY EARLY.

Apply early as there's a quota (limit) in the number of CSE takers that they allow admission. Sorry I forgot about the exam fee, but I think it's 500 PHP. They're very strict with the ID photo; should be passport size (remember this) with the proper labels.

Tip 2: REVIEW, READ.
Review (but not necessarily) only when you have a lot of time (as a result of applying early) and read a lot about the constitution. Most importantly, read articles/journals or anything that interests you (local news perhaps to be aware of things that are happening perhaps?) so as to practice your reading comprehension ability.

Tip 3: SLEEP EARLY BEFORE EXAM DAY. WORRY NOTHING.

Usually the Civil Service Exam begins at around 7AM and you're expected to be at the venue (a public school) earlier. Why? It's because there are some cases wherein you will get lost due to the inconsistencies/improper coordination between the proctors, the school administrators and the CSE representatives. 

I remember one time, the Head Proctor was panicking because some of the classrooms were not prepared.

I said 'worry nothing' because again, you are expected to have prepared your pencils, your ID (it's a sheet that's provided to you upon application), your receipt (just bring it), and the reply mail that should've been mailed back to you (I don't know if everyone receives this). Just make sure you're prepared at least a week before the exam! :)

Note on pencils, if you have at least two (2) Mongol pencils with you, make sure one is not sharp so that it would be easier for you to shade (fast!) and beat your neighboring exam takers (haha). Actually, having extra spare time will help you review your answers. 

Tip 4: CHILL. RELAX.

Don't panic if you don't know the answer, 'cause pretty sure there are some of you who really don't know it. In fact, you just have to accept that you don't know everything, and all you have to do is guess.

When guessing, my rule is either to choose B or C. I think it works (all the time), haha.

Tip 5: BRING WATER AND SWEETS.

Don't forget to bring water (to rehydrate you in case you're perspiring out of nervousness) and sweets (to give you that sugar rush and feed your brain while answering the exam).

While it's important that you bring water, please remember to go to the comfort room before the exam begins! Well, you will be advised by the proctors naman.

Hay, I reminisce that day when our classroom wasn't prepared we had to start late, because the proctors had to arrange the seats one 'seat' space apart. But then again, I remembered to just chill and leave it all to Him.

Tip 6: NEVER GET INTIMIDATED.

There could be a time (not applicable to all) when you will get intimidated because your seatmate or exam neighbors look smarter than you do (because of the way they dress up or whatsoever). Keep in mind that you have prepared (at least, your exam materials, kahit na you didn't study) already, and you're ready to finish it no matter what happens. Remember, looks can be deceiving

Believe in yourself! :D

Tip 7: ALWAYS KEEP WATCH OF TIME.

Always keep in mind that the exam is time-limited. Let me share you what I did.

I think (if I remember it right), the Reading Comprehension part was given to us first. I just rushed (as fast as I could) in answering, because I knew it was one of my weaknesses and I will never get a high score with it.

I did not read the whole story/set of paragraphs and instead, based them on context clues while checking the questions that were raised. By doing so, you're able to save time for the more mind-wrecking, extra-tiring portions of the exam.

Save up as much time as you could, and shade not so darkly ('cause it's time-consuming!). It will be an asset for you in the end, since there's a higher possibility to review back the questions you're unsure of the answers.

Tip 8: PRAY AND BE CONFIDENT.

This is probably one of the most helpful tips. Praying made me more calm and confident. It doesn't matter from what school you come or what subjects you have failed. In the end, it's all about what you have retained through years of learning. Keep the faith. You'll pass for sure 'cause you read this! 

Let me know if you pass! And please like the Spotlight Philippines facebook page (found at the right tab). Thanks!